Get to Safety First
The river invited itself in, now what? I wish the first thing you could do is call us at Fast Help, but your number one priority is to get to safety. If the river is coming in, get yourself, your pets, and your family to safety as quickly as possible. As you are getting to safety, stay out of flood waters as much as you can. You never know what is in that water. Contaminates may include fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, waterborne diseases like typhoid, animal corpses, gasoline, raw sewage, radiation, and parasites. Running flood water can carry a car or person away very quickly – stay out of the water.
Contact Insurance & Fast Help
Once you are to safety, contact your insurance carrier and let them know right away that you have a claim. Tell them what you know and they will give you some instructions. Gather as much information as you can, including when the river is expected to recede below the level of your home or business. Get in touch with FEMA if appropriate, they may cover some expenses your insurance won’t.
Get in touch with us as the river is receding. We need to get in and started while your home or the building is still dripping, that way we can potentially beat mold growth. The faster we start, the better off you will be.
Our Process & Safety Guarantee
As quickly as we can, we will get your home or business back to where it was before. Our general procedure and processes include:
- Our certified technicians start by pumping out and extracting water from the building. This will remove all obvious water and mud.
- Next, we call specialists to remove and clean all contents that can be safely cleaned.
- Then contaminated, porous materials are removed. All those contaminants in the flood waters (mentioned earlier) will now be in your carpet, drywall, mattresses, couches, pillows, cabinets, and so on.
- We clean and sanitize the building using the strongest, non-toxic chemicals in the industry. Our protocol is to physically remove, clean or sanitize all contamination until the building is safe. Our QC personnel considers the project complete when the floor is clean enough to eat from.
- Using dehumidifiers and air movers we continue to dry out the structure.
- The insurance adjuster will now want to see the building. He or she will come to an agreement with the re-building contractor on putting everything back together again.
- By the time they leave, the building will be back to normal.
You want to feel safe in your home and business and know that you’ve done all you can to ensure mold and damp won’t be a problem going forward. This is why it is super important that if there is any possibility of flooding in your home or business, you are ready.
Fast Help is Available 24/7, 365 Days a Year
Fast Help is here 24/7 – we help you navigate the stressful, emotional process from start to finish and guarantee our work. We’ll even guide you on how to communicate with your insurance company.
To stop flooding or keep as much water out of your home or business before it starts, see our previous article for steps you can take in advance to reduce damage. You can also contact us for a free estimate on ways to prevent flooding around your home or business.